MORRISVILLE, N.Y. – Morrisville State football dropped its regular season contest to nationally ranked no. 3 SUNY Brockport Saturday afternoon by a 49-7 final score, but didn't go down without a fight as they forced two turnovers in the home finale on Drake Field in Morrisville.
Morrisville State also recorded positive rushing yards, albeit 62 on the day, but against a defense that limits opponents to a negative 2.8 yards per game to lead the nation.
Brockport completed the perfect season for a second straight year, finishing the 2018 slate 10-0 record, while posting a 7-0 stint in conference play. They will await their NCAA opponent in the selection show announced Sunday.
Brockport posted their first score midway through the opening quarter, as Joe Germinerio connected with Joe Benedict for the 11-yard scoring pass play and 7-0 lead.
Germinerio added two rushing scores in the second quarter and connected with Daquan Hubbard for a 42-yard scoring strike to carry a 28-0 lead into the halftime break.
After winning the coin toss and electing to defer, Brockport began the third quarter with possession and as they drove deep into Mustang territory, Morrisville State's defense made a huge stop as they stripped Benedict of the ball and recovered it at their own three yard line. A pair of seniors, Jordan Robinson (Peru, N.Y.) forced the fumble, and Bailey Faldetta (Lagrangeville, N.Y.) recovered, giving the Mustangs their first possession of the second half.
Nick Edmond (Blythe, Calif.) gave the Mustangs some breathing room as he pounded forward for six yards to the nine, and after facing fourth and one situation, Morrisville State was able to draw the Brockport defensive line off sides for the new set of downs.
Two plays later, Brandon Gwinner (Schenectady, N.Y.) launched the long ball to a wide open Raffaele Bradshaw (Westbury, N.Y.) who won the 77-yard foot race to the end zone for the Mustangs score, completing the five play, 97 yard drive in just under three minutes.
Brockport was able to respond on the ensuing possession though, as Germinerio connected with Hubbard a second time, a four yard strike for the touchdown.
After the Golden Eagles forced Morrisville State to a three-and-out on the next Mustang series, the defensive unit again stepped up and forced a second uncharacteristic Brockport turnover, a fumble forced by Nash Nelson (Bemus Point, N.Y.) and recovered by Eli Lawrence (Brooklyn, N.Y.) in the red zone.
Morrisville State, though, was turned away as the Brockport defense collected two sacks against Gwinner.
Brockport added two final touchdowns in the fourth quarter, sealing the win and undefeated season.
- Final Score: Brockport 49, Morrisville 7
- Location: Drake Field, Morrisville, N.Y.
- Records: Brockport 10-0 (7-0 E8), Morrisville State 6-4 (4-3 E8)
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- Morrisville State recorded 62 net yards rushing against a team that has held opponents to negative net yardage in all but three games this season, a near high for the defensive unit that leads the country with -2.8 yards average per game for opponents.
- The Mustangs posted a total 260 yards offense, 198 coming through the air as senior quarterback Brandon Gwinner (Schenectady, N.Y.) completed 10 passes for 198 yards and a touchdown throw to fellow senior Raffaele Bradshaw (Westbury, N.Y.).
- Bradshaw led the receiving unit for the hosts with three catches for 92 yards and a 77 yard scoring reception to cap of the Mustangs longest offensive possession of the afternoon, a 97-yard drive that began on the Mustangs own three yard line after a Brockport fumble.
- Senior tight end Petrit Boga (Brooklyn, N.Y.) added three catches for 69 yards, including a long catch of 56 yards.
- Senior running back Nick Edmond (Blythe, Calif.) posted 62 net yards rushing on the day, on 16 attempts, a long gain of 26, as he averaged 3.9 yards per carry. Fellow backfield senior Kraig Gilbert (Silver Creek, N.Y.) added 19 yards on two carries, an average of 9.5 yards per carry.
- Zan Stewart (Norwich, N.Y.) averaged 39 yards per punt, placing two inside the 20 with very windy conditions, and also recorded a touchback.
- Rob Heitzmann (Oriskany, N.Y.) led the Mustang defense with a collegiate best 16 total tackles, 10 assisted, while safety Mike Bodnar (Miller Place, N.Y.) added 14, 10 solo stops.
- Joe Germinerio completed 32-of-41 passes for 341 yards and four touchdown strikes for Brockport, while Joe benedict added a net gain 76 yards for the Golden Eagles in the run game.
- Joseph Ortiz caught nine for a total 86 yards and Eamon Gillespie added 91 yards on eight receptions to lead the receiving unit for the visitors.
- Prior to the contest, Morrisville State honored its largest senior class in program history, celebrating 23 Mustangs who took the field for a final time.
- Morrisville State will await ECAC Bowl selections to see if they will continue the season with a bowl game next Saturday.
Morrisville State College's curricula are enriched with applied learning and pave the way for opportunity at both the Morrisville and Norwich campuses. An action-oriented, interactive learning lab, the college is a national leader in technology and has been lauded for its exemplary, innovative and effective community service programs.
The college was ranked among the Best Regional Colleges in the North by U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges 2018 issue and was also recognized in the Top Public Schools, Regional Colleges North in the 2018 Best Colleges rankings. For more information about Morrisville State College, visit www.morrisville.edu.