MORRISVILLE, N.Y. – Morrisville State men's basketball collected their first win of the 2018-19 season Saturday afternoon as they topped host SUNY Canton by a 92-86 final in non-league action in the season opener in Canton.
Morrisville State trailed 51-37 at the half before Tyrin Miller (White Plains, N.Y.) rattled off eight straight points to open the second, fueling a shift in momentum as the Mustangs went on a 21-3 run over the opening six minutes to take a six point lead at the 13:59 mark.
- Final Score: Morrisville 92, Canton 86
- Location: Stan Cohen Court, SUNY Canton, Canton, N.Y.
- Records: Morrisville 1-0, Canton 0-1
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- Morrisville State junior forward Kevin Dennis (Bronx, N.Y.) led all scorers with 22 points and added seven rebounds to lead the Mustang pack of five that posted double figures on the day.
- Justin Mitchell (Newburgh, N.Y.) added 15 off the bench for the Mustangs, shooting 5-for-7 from the floor, while adding five rebounds.
- Tyrin Miller (White Plains, N.Y.) posted 14, nailing 4-of-6 from beyond the arc, while teammate Derek Beams (Otego, N.Y.) collected 13 to go along with seven boards.
- Lamel Faison (Brooklyn, N.Y.) rounded out the Mustang leaderboard with 12 points and team highs nine rebounds and seven assists in the win.
- Canton had four in double figures, led by Danny Santa who had a team high 18.
- Morrisville State outgained the Roos on the boards, 41-36, and limited Canton to 43.2% shooting from the floor in the contest, while shooting 50.8% on 30-of-59 shots made.
- Morrisville State trailed 51-37 at the half before shooting 63.3% in the second half and rattling off 55 second half points.
- The Mustangs went on a 21-3 run over the opening six minutes of the second half to lead by six, and after battling back and forth with Canton for the next few minutes, regained the lead for good with 8:37 to go as Beames hit a jumper in the paint for a two point visitor lead.
- Morrisville State increased their lead to as many as 10 with just over four minutes to go, and sealed the win despite a Canton comeback attempt, with free throw shooting down the stretch.
- Morrisville State returns to the court Tuesday at Brockport for a 7:30 p.m. tip off.
Morrisville State College's curricula are enriched with applied learning and pave the way for opportunity at both the Morrisville and Norwich campuses. An action-oriented, interactive learning lab, the college is a national leader in technology and has been lauded for its exemplary, innovative and effective community service programs.
The college was ranked among the Best Regional Colleges in the North by U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges 2018 issue and was also recognized in the Top Public Schools, Regional Colleges North in the 2018 Best Colleges rankings. For more information about Morrisville State College, visit www.morrisville.edu.