BROCKPORT, N.Y. – The Morrisville State men's basketball team got off to a slow start and was unable to recover as they dropped a 96-77 non-conference contest to SUNY Brockport on the road in Brockport Tuesday night.
- Final Score: Brockport 96, Morrisville State 77
- Location: SUNY Brockport, Brockport, N.Y.
- Records: Brockport 2-0, Morrisville 1-1
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- Morrisville State scored the opening bucket of the contest, a three by Tyrin Miller (White Plains, N.Y.), but the Golden Eagles put together a 9-0 run, holding the Mustangs scoreless for the next seven minutes to shift the tables as they increased their lead to double digits.
- Brockport shot 45.5% from the floor to the Mustangs 31.8% in the opening half, forcing 10 Morrisville State miscues to claim the 46-29 advantage at the break.
- Morrisville State battled back in the second, but struggled to overcome the 17 point deficit as the Golden Eagles picked up the win.
- Justin Mitchell (Newburgh, N.Y.) led the Mustangs with 20 points off the bench, hitting 8-of-9 from the free throw line in 34 minutes of action.
- Kevin Dennis (Bronx, N.Y.) collected the double-double in the Morrisville State efforts, posting 13 points and snagging 10 rebounds, while fellow forward Derek Beames (Otego, N.Y.) added 14 points to go along with three assists.
- Head coach Joseph Smith will take his Mustang squad to his alma mater Saturday for the opening round of the Hamilton College tip-off tourney, facing York (NY) at 4 p.m. in Clinton.
Morrisville State College's curricula are enriched with applied learning and pave the way for opportunity at both the Morrisville and Norwich campuses. An action-oriented, interactive learning lab, the college is a national leader in technology and has been lauded for its exemplary, innovative and effective community service programs.
The college was ranked among the Best Regional Colleges in the North by U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges 2018 issue and was also recognized in the Top Public Schools, Regional Colleges North in the 2018 Best Colleges rankings. For more information about Morrisville State College, visit www.morrisville.edu.