MORRISVILLE, N.Y. – Junior guard Tyrin Miller (White Plains, N.Y.) poured in a career high 34 points to lead host Morrisville State men's basketball to a thrilling 104-102 North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) win over Route 20 Rival Cazenovia College Wednesday night in Morrisville.
- Final score: Morrisville State 104, Cazenovia 102 (halftime: Morrisville 56-48)
- Location: STUAC Gymnasium, Morrisville, N.Y.
- Records: Morrisville State 5-2, 2-0 NEAC; Cazenovia 2-5, 1-2 NEAC
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- In a fast paced, physical contest, Morrisville State built up a 56-48 halftime lead and began the second with a 20-5 run to give the Wildcats their largest deficit of the evening five minutes in.
- Momentum shifted in favor of the visitors after Jaceary Menes hit a layup, and ignited the 26-6 Cazenovia run over the ensuing seven minutes of play, cutting the lead to four with 7:37 to go.
- Back-to-back three's by Cazenovia tied the contest for a third time, before Tyrin Miller (White Plains, N.Y.) hit one from the top of the key for the Mustangs to regain the advantage for the hosts.
- Morrisville State held on to a slim lead before a three from Menes on the left wing led to a one-point advantage for Cazenovia with 2:55 remaining.
- Miller again nailed one from long range to regain the lead for the Mustangs, but Cazenovia wouldn't go away quietly as they continued to claw away at the lead.
- A three-point play by Kevin Dennis (Bronx, N.Y.) with just over a minute to go extended the Mustang lead to three, before a Cazenovia layup made it a one point game with eight seconds remaining.
- Dennis was fouled off ball and hit the back end of two free throw opportunities for the two point host advantage, and Cazenovia had one final chance at tying the contest, but the layup attempt was blocked by Dennis and Justin Mitchell (Newburgh, N.Y.) came down with the rebound as time expired.
- Miller finished with a career high 34 points in the win, hitting 7-of-11 from beyond the arc, while adding five rebounds to his tallies on the night.
- Lamel Faison (Brooklyn, N.Y.) collected the double-double with 12 points and 12 assists, while four additional Mustangs posted double figures in scoring.
- Dennis added 16 points and 15 rebounds, while fellow forward Derek Beames (Otego, N.Y.) posted 14 points to go along with eight boards.
- Kyle Peck (Oneida, N.Y.) and Jaylin Montalvo (Hempstead, N.Y.) rounded out the leaderboard with 10 points each, Montalvo shooting perfect from the floor on 3-of-3 shots.
- Menes led the Cazenovia efforts with a 35 point outing as he hit 11-of-18 shots from the floor, including seven from long range. The junior added five assists.
- Lucci Vigliotti and Blake Bagozzi each came off the bench to add 16 apiece to the efforts, while Will Cutler posted 13 to go along with 11 rebounds.
- Cazenovia hit a game total 19 from behind the arc, 10 in the first half, but it was Morrisville State who overall on the night held the better hand in shooting from the floor, outgaining the Wildcats 52.9% to 47.2%.
- Morrisville State also held the advantage on the glass, 46-37.
- Morrisville State will return to the court Saturday, hosting Utica College for a 2 p.m. tip in Morrisville.
Morrisville State College's curricula are enriched with applied learning and pave the way for opportunity at both the Morrisville and Norwich campuses. An action-oriented, interactive learning lab, the college is a national leader in technology and has been lauded for its exemplary, innovative and effective community service programs.
The college was ranked among the Best Regional Colleges in the North by U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges 2018 issue and was also recognized in the Top Public Schools, Regional Colleges North in the 2018 Best Colleges rankings. For more information about Morrisville State College, visit www.morrisville.edu.