MORRISVILLE, N.Y. – The Morrisville State men's basketball team had five players notch double figures Saturday afternoon and poured in 59 second half points, as they opened 2019 with a 95-85 non-conference win over SUNY Geneseo on their home court in Morrisville.
- Final Score: Morrisville 95, Geneseo 85 (halftime: Geneseo 37-36)
- Location: Morrisville, N.Y.
- Records: Morrisville 7-3, Geneseo 4-6
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- Morrisville State had a total five players net double digits Saturday, led by junior forward Kevin Dennis (Bronx, N.Y.) with 21, as the Mustangs powered past the SUNYAC member 95-85. Dennis was limited to six points in the first half before collecting 15 in the second period.
- Dennis added 11 rebounds for another double-double on the season, while teammate Lamel Faison (Brooklyn, N.Y.) also added a double-double performance behind his 16 points and 10 assist outing. Eleven of Faison's points came in the second half of action.
- Tyrin Miller (White Plains, N.Y.) collected 11 points on 3-of-9 from long range, adding six boards and three assists.
- Morrisville State got 33 points from its bench, including 15 from Brison Hall (Syracuse, N.Y.) who added six boards.
- Derek Beames (Otego, N.Y.) posted 12, 10 in the first half to spark the Mustangs offensive game as they trailed the visiting Knights, snagging seven rebounds, including two on the offensive glass, while adding three steals to his tallies.
- Geneseo came out of the gates on fire, hitting 50% from the floor in the opening half as they led by as many as seven in the first period of play, and held the slim 37-36 advantage at the break.
- With Geneseo leading 52-45 five minutes into the second half, Morrisville State's Justin Mitchell (Newburgh, N.Y.) converted the layup following a Beames steal, and sparked an 11-0 run by the Mustangs as they shifted the momentum of the contest into their favor and claimed a 57-54 edge midway through the second.
- Geneseo was able to pull even for a ninth time minutes later, but it was a three by Miller that gave the Mustangs the lead for a final time, as they withstood the Knight efforts to regain the advantage.
- Morrisville State doubled up the Knights over a five minute span, but Geneseo was able to climb within eight with under a minute to go, forcing the Mustangs to earn the win from the free throw line, where they went 2-for-4 over the final 25 seconds of the contest.
- The Mustangs outgained Geneseo 59-48 in the second half, a season high for points scored in a half.
- Geneseo held the advantage in shooting on the floor, hitting 47.8% compared to the Mustangs 45.1 on the afternoon, but Morrisville State was stronger from behind the arc as they edged the Knights 46.2% to 41.7%, including a 58.3% bout in the second half.
- Morrisville State held the edge on the glass by a 41-38 margin, with the difference coming on the offensive boards as they collected 15, compared to Geneseo's 12.
- Morrisville State collected 22 points off Knight miscues, and forced 19 Geneseo turnovers.
- Morrisville State returns to the court Wednesday, traveling to SUNY Cobleskill as they resume North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) play. Tip is scheduled for 7 p.m. in Cobleskill.
Morrisville State College's curricula are enriched with applied learning and pave the way for opportunity at both the Morrisville and Norwich campuses. An action-oriented, interactive learning lab, the college is a national leader in technology and has been lauded for its exemplary, innovative and effective community service programs.
The college was ranked among the Best Regional Colleges in the North by U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges 2018 issue and was also recognized in the Top Public Schools, Regional Colleges North in the 2018 Best Colleges rankings. For more information about Morrisville State College, visit www.morrisville.edu.