COBLESKILL, N.Y. – The Morrisville State men's basketball team overcame an eight point halftime deficit as they outscored host SUNY Cobleskill 43-28 in the second half to collect an 84-77 North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) victory Wednesday night in Cobleskill.
The win puts the Mustangs at the top of the NEAC standings with a 3-0 conference slate to date on the young season.
- Final Score: Morrisville State 84, Cobleskill 77
- Location: SUNY Cobleskill, Cobleskill, N.Y.
- Records: Morrisville State 8-3 (3-0 NEAC), Cobleskill 7-5 (2-1 NEAC)
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- Both teams entered the second half of conference action with unblemished NEAC slates, and after playing to a back and forth first half that saw the hosts hold a 49-41 advantage, Morrisville State held Cobleskill to just 28 points in the second while rallying for 43 of their own to capture the conference win.
- Cobleskill used a 7-2 spurt late in the contest to carry the 49-41 lead into the break, but Morrisville State hit the paint in the second half and worked their way back to within reach after the hosts built up a 10-point lead early on.
- Junior forward Kevin Dennis (Bronx, N.Y.) tied the contest at 66 at the 7:30 mark with a bucket in the paint, kicking off a 20-9 Mustang run that resulted in the visitors win.
- Tyrin Miller (White Plains, N.Y.) netted 13 of his game total 20 over the final seven minutes, as he hit 7-of-11 total from the floor on the night while adding four rebounds to his tallies.
- Three additional Mustangs collected double figures, including Lamel Faison (Brooklyn, N.Y.) who for the second time in as many contests, collected a double-double behind 15 points and 10 assists. In two contests within a week's time, Faison has dished out a total 20 assists.
- Justin Mitchell (Newburgh, N.Y.) added 13 points, assisted four and collected two steals, while Dennis rounded out the leaderboard with 17 points and 20 rebounds, his tenth double-double on the season.
- Morrisville State dominated the glass 46-33 over the Fighting Tigers, holding the slight edge in points in the paint (42-40) and second chance points (19-16).
- Dashown Nelson led Cobleskill's efforts with 28 points while Anthony McNeil added 22 in the losing effort.
- Morrisville State returns to the court Saturday, traveling to the College of St. Elizabeth for a 3 p.m. NEAC contest.
Morrisville State College's curricula are enriched with applied learning and pave the way for opportunity at both the Morrisville and Norwich campuses. An action-oriented, interactive learning lab, the college is a national leader in technology and has been lauded for its exemplary, innovative and effective community service programs.
The college was ranked among the Best Regional Colleges in the North by U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges 2018 issue and was also recognized in the Top Public Schools, Regional Colleges North in the 2018 Best Colleges rankings. For more information about Morrisville State College, visit www.morrisville.edu.