MORRISVILLE, N.Y. – Cortland capitalized twice on Morrisville penalties to give them the advantage in the 4-2 State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) tilt on Saturday night.
- Final Score:
- Cortland 4, Morrisville 2
- Location: Morrisville, N.Y.
- Cortland (3-3-0, 1-2-0 SUNYAC), Morrisville (1-5-0, 1-3-0 SUNYAC)
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- The Mustangs and Red Dragons each had their power play opportunities throughout the contest with each team being whistled 10 times.
- Cortland was the first to capitalize on the power play, registering a goal at the 6:57 mark in the first period.
- Morrisville was able to answer with their own power play goal to knot the score at 1-1 when Austin Johnson (Pawling, N.Y.) flipped his shot just above the glove of the sprawled Cortland net minder.
- However, Cortland capitalized just under a minute later as they took the 2-1 lead off of another power play goal.
- The Red Dragons struck again at the 8:27 mark to gain the 3-1 advantage.
- Cortland picked up a fourth goal at the 6:35 mark in the third period.
- Morrisville made a push to get back in the contest at the 15:01 mark when CJ Stubbs (Pleasant Grove, Utah) banged home a deep rebound off of Aidan Conolly's (Rochester, N.Y.) initial strike to cut the Cortland lead to just two goals.
- The Mustangs would pull their goalie for the last 1:24 of the contest in favor of an extra skater, but it was too little too late as Cortland held on for the 4-2 win.
The Mustangs will hit the road next weekend for their next SUNYAC series at SUNY Geneseo. Morrisville will take on the Knights at 7 PM on Friday and 4 PM on Saturday.
Morrisville State College's curricula are enriched with applied learning and pave the way for opportunity at both the Morrisville and Norwich campuses. An action-oriented, interactive learning lab, the college is a national leader in technology and has been lauded for its exemplary, innovative and effective community service programs.
The college was ranked among the Best Regional Colleges in the North by U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges 2018 issue and was also recognized in the Top Public Schools, Regional Colleges North in the 2018 Best Colleges rankings. For more information about Morrisville State College, visit www.morrisville.edu.