POTSDAM, N.Y. – It took a little longer than expected for the Mustangs to get back on the ice against the Potsdam Bears after a dramatic come-from-behind victory in their previous meeting due to a weather cancelation, but Morrisville made it worth the wait. The Mustangs were able to rally back from two goals down in the third to earn a 4-4 tie in State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) action.
- Final Score:
- Morrisville 4, Potsdam 4
- Location: Potsdam, N.Y.
- Morrisville (4-13-2, 2-9-1 SUNYAC), Potsdam (6-13-1, 2-8-1 SUNYAC)
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- The Mustangs picked up where they left off in their last contest in Potsdam, scoring at the 5:53 mark in the first when Ian Wood (Pittsburgh, Pa.) converted on a power play opportunity.
- The Bears responded quickly, tying the contest two and a half minutes later, and then taking the 2-1 lead four minutes after that.
- Morrisville was able to even the score midway through the second off of a Ryan Bochert (Denver, Colo.) goal, assisted by Ben Sprague (Norfolk, N.Y.) and Aidan Conolly (Rochester, N.Y.)
- Even though the Mustangs tied the game up in the second, the rest of the period was rather pedestrian compared to the four goal explosion between the two squads that would occur in the third.
- Potsdam rattled off two goals within a minute and six seconds of each other early in the third to take the two goal lead.
- However, Morrisville chipped away with Jimmy Philbin's (Chicago, Ill.) tally at 8:39 to bring the score to 4-3 in favor of the Bears.
- CJ Stubbs eventually evened the score at the 18:27 mark with his thirteenth goal of the season. Philbin and Nick DeVito (Averill Park, N.Y.) were credited with the assists on the game-tying score.
- Potsdam was able to get eight shots off in the overtime frame compared to just four for the Mustangs, but Morrisville's defense held firm to preserve the 4-4 draw.
- Jared Young (Pueblo West, Colo.) turned in another solid performance for Morrisville in net, picking up 37 saves.
Morrisville will return to their home ice this weekend for another SUNYAC series as they host the Golden Eagles from the College at Brockport. Friday's puck drop is set for 7 PM. Saturday's contest which is scheduled for 4 PM is also the Mustangs' DWI Awareness game.
Morrisville State College's curricula are enriched with applied learning and pave the way for opportunity at both the Morrisville and Norwich campuses. An action-oriented, interactive learning lab, the college is a national leader in technology and has been lauded for its exemplary, innovative and effective community service programs.
The college was ranked among the Best Regional Colleges in the North by U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges 2018 issue and was also recognized in the Top Public Schools, Regional Colleges North in the 2018 Best Colleges rankings. For more information about Morrisville State College, visit www.morrisville.edu.