OSWEGO, N.Y. – Visiting Morrisville State men's lacrosse scored six unanswered tallies in the fourth quarter as they charged back from a four goal halftime deficit, but it wasn't enough as Oswego State claimed the 16-14 non-conference win in Oswego Saturday afternoon.
- Final Score: Oswego 16, Morrisville 14
- Location: Oswego, N.Y.
- Records: Oswego 2-0, Morrisville 0-1
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- Morrisville State posted six unanswered goals in the fourth quarter after trailing by four scores in the final frame, but it wasn't enough as Oswego held on for the non-conference win with four of their own tallies.
- Senior attackman Nick Geswaldo (Lafayette, N.Y.) paced the Mustangs with five goals, all coming in the final quarter of action, adding two assists on the day.
- Junior transfer Joe Rosaschi (Syracuse, N.Y.) added five points, four goals and an assist, while Christopher Dovi (Cortland, N.Y.) netted a hat trick.
- Joe Piedigrossi (Cortland, N.Y.) rounded out Mustang scoring with two goals.
- Zack Mabry (Suffern, N.Y.) picked up six ground balls for Morrisville State, who collected 21 across the contest, compared to Oswego's 37.
- John Henry Alvarado (West Harrison, N.Y.) recorded 12 stops in the loss in net, five in the fourth quarter, in his collegiate debut.
- Both teams played to a back-and-forth opening quarter, before the hosts rattled off five scores in the second period to carry the 9-5 lead into the halftime break.
- Rosaschi got the Mustangs rolling in the third quarter, netting all three scores to keep Morrisville State in the game heading into the final frame.
- An early goal by Dovi kicked off a three goal streak by the Mustangs, as Geswaldo was able to escape the defense to net his first two of the season.
- Oswego collected the next two scores, before Geswaldo put a man-up tally in the back of the net to maintain striking distance for the Mustangs at the 6:41 mark and cut the lead to just two.
- The hosts extended the lead to three at the 4:20 mark with a score, but back-to-back goals by Geswaldo brought the Mustangs within one with just over two minutes to go in the contest.
- Oswego put the final dagger in the net with 15 seconds to go, securing the win while Morrisville State dropped the season opener.
- Morrisville State will return to Drake Field Tuesday to open the home slate against Cortland. Opening face-off is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. in Morrisville.
Morrisville State College's curricula are enriched with applied learning and pave the way for opportunity at both the Morrisville and Norwich campuses. An action-oriented, interactive learning lab, the college is a national leader in technology and has been lauded for its exemplary, innovative and effective community service programs.
The college was ranked among the Best Regional Colleges in the North by U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges 2018 issue and was also recognized in the Top Public Schools, Regional Colleges North in the 2018 Best Colleges rankings. For more information about Morrisville State College, visit www.morrisville.edu.