MORRISVILLE, N.Y. – The Morrisville State men's lacrosse team dropped their second straight Tuesday afternoon as they fell by a 25-9 final score to visiting SUNY Cortland on Drake Field in Morrisville.
- Final Score: Cortland 25, Morrisville State 9
- Location: Drake Field, Morrisville, N.Y.
- Records: Cortland 2-2, Morrisville State 0-2
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- Cortland scored eight times in the opening quarter and didn't look back as they dominated Morrisville State in non-conference action Tuesday afternoon.
- The Red Dragons outgained the Mustangs 47-30 in shots on the day, converting 3-of-4 man-up opportunities for scores. They also added a 42-32 advantage in ground balls after controlling the center start with 26 face-off wins.
- Joseph Rosaschi (Syracuse, N.Y.) led the Mustang efforts offensively with four goals, while Nick Geswaldo (Lafayette, N.Y.) added another three.
- Zach Palin (Lafayette, N.Y.) and Chris Dovi (Cortland, N.Y.) rounded out the scoring effort with a goal each. Dovi also added three assists.
- Shawn Walberger (Fulton, N.Y.) collected a team high seven ground balls, to go along with five pick-ups by Zack Mabry (Suffern, N.Y.).
- Brendan Boles (Goshen, N.Y.) and Geswaldo each added two caused turnovers to the defensive efforts for the Mustangs.
- Terrance Haggerty led Cortland with six scores, adding an assist, for seven points on the day, while Joey Panariello added a six point effort behind three tallies and another three assists.
- Dante Yacavone collected seven points along with Haggerty, scoring three goals and assisting four.
- Brian Williams dominated the center x, winning 17-of-19 faceoffs and collecting 12 ground balls.
- Cortland set the tone early, striking just 44 seconds in for their first goal of the afternoon.
- Within minutes they rattled off three more, all within a span of 40 seconds, before increasing their lead to seven.
- Geswaldo broke the scoreless drought for the Mustangs in the first quarter, netting a man-up tally with 2:49 to go, but Cortland added another to carry the 8-1 advantage into the second quarter.
- Over the next two quarters the Red Dragons outscored the Mustangs 14-5 to increase their lead to 16, a deficit that was difficult for the hosts to overcome.
- John Henry Alvarado (West Harrison, N.Y.) recorded 10 saves in the loss between the pipes for Morrisville State.
- Morrisville State returns to the field Thursday, traveling to Whittier College for a non-conference battle in California.
Morrisville State College's curricula are enriched with applied learning and pave the way for opportunity at both the Morrisville and Norwich campuses. An action-oriented, interactive learning lab, the college is a national leader in technology and has been lauded for its exemplary, innovative and effective community service programs.
The college was ranked among the Best Regional Colleges in the North by U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges 2018 issue and was also recognized in the Top Public Schools, Regional Colleges North in the 2018 Best Colleges rankings. For more information about Morrisville State College, visit www.morrisville.edu.