MORRISVILLE, N.Y. – The Morrisville State men's lacrosse team battled to the final whistle Monday afternoon, but fell short as Scranton University claimed a 12-10 non-conference win over the host Mustangs on Drake Field in Morrisville.
- Final Score: Scranton 12, Morrisville 10
- Location: Drake Field, Morrisville, N.Y.
- Records: Scranton 6-6, Morrisville 1-6
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- Scranton opened with a 3-1 first quarter lead before Morrisville State battled back and sent the game into the half with a 5-4 visitor lead.
- After leading 8-6 three quarters in and two early scores in the fourth, the Mustangs came back from a four goal deficit to pull within one with 6:14 to go, but struggled to get any closer as Scranton posted back-to-back tallies to secure the non-conference win.
- Five Mustangs contributed to the scoring efforts on the afternoon, led by Nick Geswaldo (Lafayette, N.Y.) who tallied four.
- Zach Palin (Lafayette, N.Y.) and Chris Dovi (Cortland, N.Y.) each collected two, while Peter Pina (Culver City, Calif.) and Richard Giess (Sherrill, N.Y.) rounded out the Mustang leaderboard with one score each.
- Niko Cejic (Johnson City, N.Y.) had a stellar game for the Mustangs between the pipes, collecting a total 14 saves, including nine in the opening period.
- Scranton edged the Mustangs by one in the ground ball game, 30-29, in part off the play of Collin Purdy at the center x, who collected 16-of-25 face-off wins and nine ground ball pickups.
- Morrisville State will open North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) play Wednesday afternoon, hosting SUNY Polytechnic at 4:30 on Drake Field in Morrisville.
Morrisville State College's curricula are enriched with applied learning and pave the way for opportunity at both the Morrisville and Norwich campuses. An action-oriented, interactive learning lab, the college is a national leader in technology and has been lauded for its exemplary, innovative and effective community service programs.
The college was ranked among the Best Regional Colleges in the North by U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges 2018 issue and was also recognized in the Top Public Schools, Regional Colleges North in the 2018 Best Colleges rankings. For more information about Morrisville State College, visit www.morrisville.edu.