MORRISVILLE, N.Y. –The Mustangs recorded their third straight win in a thrilling overtime victory over the Wells College Express on Saturday evening. Freshman forward, Toyi Hakizmana (Rochester, NY) capitalized on a penalty kick with less than a minute left in overtime to claim the win.
- Final Score: Morrisville 2, Wells 1, (2 OT)
- Location: Drake Field – Morrisville, NY
- Records: Morrisville (4-2-1), Wells (2-7-0)
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Both of Morrisville's unassisted goals came off of penalty kicks; the first score came in the 9' of the first half when freshman defender, William Lynch (Island Trees, NY) connected with the back of the net for the first goal of the game.
- Forward, Christian Garavito of Wells evened the score at 1-1 midway through the second half when he scored off a rebound from Mustang goalie, Tyler Gaines (Hoosick Falls, NY). The Express had several chances to take the lead at the end of regulation, but weren't able to finish as two shots missed the goal just high of the crossbar in the last 3'.
- With 43 seconds remaining in overtime, Hakizmana broke out down the left side of the field and was fouled just after entering the penalty box. He recorded his second goal of the season on a penalty kick, securing the third consecutive conference win for the Mustangs.
- Gaines recorded his second win in goal for Morrisville State, saving a total 7 shots on the afternoon.
The Mustangs return to action Tuesday, as they travel to Rochester, N.Y. to take on non-conference opponent, Nazareth College at 4:00pm.
Morrisville State College's curricula are enriched with applied learning and pave the way for opportunity at both the Morrisville and Norwich campuses. An action-oriented, interactive learning lab, the college is a national leader in technology and has been lauded for its exemplary, innovative and effective community service programs.
The college was ranked among the Best Regional Colleges in the North by U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges 2018 issue and was also recognized in the Top Public Schools, Regional Colleges North in the 2018 Best Colleges rankings. For more information about Morrisville State College, visit www.morrisville.edu.