MORRISTOWN, N.J. – The Morrisville State softball team opened North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) play Saturday afternoon, dropping a pair of contests against host, the College of St. Elizabeth in Morristown, New Jersey, by 11-3 and 15-1 finals.
- Final Score: St. Elizabeth 11, Morrisville 3
- Location: Morristown, NJ
- Records: Morrisville (0-15), St. Elizabeth (15-6)
- Final Score: St. Elizabeth 15, Morrisville 1
- Location: Morristown, NJ
- Records: Morrisville (0-16), St. Elizabeth (16-6)
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Ciera Sprague (Elmira, NY) and Emily Vesely (Johnson City, NY) combined for four of Morrisville State's seven hits in game one, with Sprague scoring two of their three runs.
- The Mustangs took an early 1-0 lead in the top of the first inning; Sprague led off the inning with a single to third base and went on to steal second base. Chyne Kennedy (Southwold, Ontario) poked a single to center field, scoring Sprague.
- The Eagles went on to score eleven runs throughout the third and fourth innings to take an 11-1 lead over the Mustangs. Morrisville responded in the top of the fifth inning with two runs to cut the host lead to 11-3. Sprague earned her second hit of the afternoon on a single to third, allowing Skylar Girard (Cherry Valley, NY) to advance to second. Kennedy reached first on an error by the Eagle's second baseman, scoring Girard. Sprague scored the second run of the inning when Vesely reached first on an error by St. Elizabeth's shortstop. But the Mustang rally game to an end two batters later, as the hosts earned the 11-3 victory.
- Kennedy started the contest and threw the first 3.1 innings, allowing ten runs, eight earned, on twelve hits, striking out three batters. Sprague relieved Kennedy for the last two outs of the fourth inning, allowing one earned run.
- Sprague continued her hot streak in game two, pacing the Mustangs with two hits on three at-bats. The lone Mustang run came in the second inning, as Vesely scored off of a ground out to second from Meleena Mortimer (Canandaigua, NY).
- Kellina Murphy (Yonkers, NY) threw the loss for the Mustangs, allowing eleven runs, nine earned, on nine hits.
Morrisville State continues their southern tilt, taking on Penn College in a North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) double header on Sunday afternoon, with games slated to start at 12:00pm and 2:00pm.
Morrisville State College's curricula are enriched with applied learning and pave the way for opportunity at both the Morrisville and Norwich campuses. An action-oriented, interactive learning lab, the college is a national leader in technology and has been lauded for its exemplary, innovative and effective community service programs.
The college was ranked among the Best Regional Colleges in the North by U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges 2018 issue and was also recognized in the Top Public Schools, Regional Colleges North in the 2018 Best Colleges rankings. For more information about Morrisville State College, visit www.morrisville.edu.