MORRISVILLE, N.Y. – The Morrisville State softball team battled back from a dismal game one to claim their first win of the season and set back the visiting Cazenovia College Wildcats as they split the crucial North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) match up Wednesday afternoon in Morrisville.
- Game 1: Cazenovia 14, Morrisville 2
- Game 2: Morrisville 6, Cazenovia 2
- Location: Morrisville, N.Y.
- Records: Cazenovia 6-10 (2-4 NEAC), Morrisville 1-19 (1-5 NEAC)
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- Morrisville State allowed seven runs in the third inning and got behind 12-0 before adding two of their own in the bottom of the fourth, but the Wildcats had the hot bats rolling as they collected the 14-2 NEAC win behind a game total 17 hits.
- Ciera Sprague (Elmira, N.Y.) and Emily Vesely (Johnson City, N.Y.) each were perfect from the plate, recording a combined five of the Mustangs eight hits in the first of the day's double. Sprague registered a triple.
- Kellina Murphy (Yonkers, N.Y.) recorded the loss on the mound, throwing the opening 2.1 innings and allowing 12 earned runs on 13 hits, before Sprague stepped to the mound to compete the remainder 2.2 innings, allowing two earned runs and four hits.
- Morrisville State rebounded in the night cap of Wednesday's double-header action, shocking the Wildcats with a 6-2 victory as they collected runs in the first three innings of the contest.
- Once again Sprague and Vesely had the hot bats, each going 3-for-4 from the plate for a combined two RBI's and three runs.
- Murphy added a 3-for-3 effort with an RBI, adding to the Mustangs 14 total hits across the seven inning contest.
- Chyne Kennedy (Southwold, ON) threw the win, allowing two earned runs in seven innings pitched, as the Wildcats were only able to muster six hits. Kennedy collected six strikeouts in the win.
- Cazenovia took the 1-0 lead after the top of the first, scoring on a walked batter, but the Mustangs quickly rebounded in the bottom of the inning as Vesely shot the triple to left field to score Sprague.
- Vesely then scored herself, on a passed ball, giving the Mustangs the 2-1 advantage after the first.
- In the second, Sprague shot the single towards short to score Murphy, and Kennedy followed with an RBI hit to short stop to score Sprague, giving the Mustangs the 4-1 lead after two.
- Morrisville State added two additional runs in the bottom of the third as Paige Williams (Machias, N.Y.) slammed a triple to center field to score runner Chelsea Smith (Madrid, N.Y.); and Murphy singled to short, to drive home Williams for the 6-1 lead.
- Cazenovia attempted a rally in the top of the sixth but the Mustang defense held strong as they collected the win after turning away three straight at bats in the top of the seventh.
- Morrisville State will return to the diamond Saturday, hosting Lancaster Bible for their A21 benefit game to bring awareness to unlawful and unwanted human trafficking.
Morrisville State College's curricula are enriched with applied learning and pave the way for opportunity at both the Morrisville and Norwich campuses. An action-oriented, interactive learning lab, the college is a national leader in technology and has been lauded for its exemplary, innovative and effective community service programs.
The college was ranked among the Best Regional Colleges in the North by U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges 2018 issue and was also recognized in the Top Public Schools, Regional Colleges North in the 2018 Best Colleges rankings. For more information about Morrisville State College, visit www.morrisville.edu.