CANTON, N.Y. – The Morrisville State women's basketball team posted a fourth quarter comeback Monday morning as they resumed their season schedule for the first time in 2019 with a 60-59 thrilling win over SUNY Canton in Canton.
Morrisville State rallied from a five point deficit late in the fourth quarter as they put together a 12-6 run to claim the non-conference win.
- Final Score: Morrisville 60, Canton 59
- Location: Canton, N.Y.
- Records: Morrisville 2-9, Canton 2-10
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- After opening with a 10-1 lead midway through the first quarter, Canton bounced back and claimed a 20-19 advantage after the opening frame, extending their lead to five at the break over the visiting Mustangs.
- A slow start in the third quarter found Morrisville State trailing by as many as 13 just 2:30 into the third, before a three ball from Tori Rockefeller (South Kortright, N.Y.) rallied the Mustangs offense for a 12-2 spurt to cut the Roos lead to four heading into the fourth.
- Morrisville State hit back-to-back buckets to open the final quarter to claim an advantage, but the hosts shifted the tables and regained a five point edge with seven to go.
- Rockefeller hit another from long range, and Alexis Campbell (Buffalo, N.Y.) followed with a jumper to make it a two-point ball game with 5:11 to go.
- After Campbell hit two free throws and added a layup to tie the contest at 57 with 2:30 showing on the clock, it was a three by Miranda Wright (Smyrna, N.Y.) at 1:49 that pushed the Mustangs over the edge as they held on for the win.
- Canton was able to add a jumper to make it a one-point difference with 32 seconds to go, but the Mustangs defense withstood a late rally attempt by the Roos as a layup in the final seconds fell short and the ball into Morrisville State's hands.
- Rockefeller led all scorers with 22 points on the night, adding five assists and two steals as she hit a game total four from beyond the arc.
- Campbell added 12 with her 5-of-6 shooting from the charity stripe, while Charlotte Walker (Middle Island, N.Y.) contributed a strong nine points and eight boards to the Mustangs win.
- Morrisville State was outgained in play off the glass, but the difference proved to be in the possession game, as the Mustangs forced 24 Canton miscues and capitalized with 19 points towards their game total.
- Morrisville State will resume conference play Wednesday as they travel to SUNY Cobleskill for a North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) battle. Tip-off is scheduled for 5 p.m. in Cobleskill.
Morrisville State College's curricula are enriched with applied learning and pave the way for opportunity at both the Morrisville and Norwich campuses. An action-oriented, interactive learning lab, the college is a national leader in technology and has been lauded for its exemplary, innovative and effective community service programs.
The college was ranked among the Best Regional Colleges in the North by U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges 2018 issue and was also recognized in the Top Public Schools, Regional Colleges North in the 2018 Best Colleges rankings. For more information about Morrisville State College, visit www.morrisville.edu.