COBLESKILL, N.Y. – Morrisville State sophomore point guard, Alexis Campbell (Buffalo, N.Y.), rattled off a collegiate high 39 points to lead the visiting Mustangs in a critical North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) win over rival SUNY Cobleskill Wednesday evening in Cobleskill.
The Mustangs overcame a 15 point deficit in the third quarter en route to the victory.
- Final Score: Morrisville State 86, Cobleskill 79 (halftime: Cobleskill 45-32)
- Location: SUNY Cobleskill, Cobleskill, N.Y.
- Records: Morrisville State 3-9 (2-1 NEAC), Cobleskill 7-4 (1-2 NEAC)
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- Morrisville State held the advantage over the Fighting Tigers for a majority of the first quarter until a layup by Cobleskill with 1:08 showing on the clock gave the hosts the edge heading into the second quarter.
- In the second, Cobleskill used a 16-5 run over the first six minutes of the quarter to open a double digit lead, 36-24, with 3:55 to go in the half, an advantage they carried to the break.
- After an opening layup by Cobleskill seconds into the third, Morrisville State put together a 15-2 run in the opening three minutes to get back into the contest, and outscored the hosts a total 30-15 to hold the slim 62-60 lead going into the final frame.
- Morrisville State took their first lead since the 1:08 mark of the first quarter with a long ball from Alexis Campbell (Buffalo, N.Y.) with two ticks to go in the third to give the Mustangs the edge, and added another three a mere six seconds later for a 65-60 visitor lead.
- Cobleskill cut the deficit to three late in the contest, but Morrisville State proved deadly from beyond the arc as Tori Rockefeller (South Kortright, N.Y.) added one of her own to give the Mustangs the extra edge over the Fighting Tigers.
- Campbell finished with a collegiate high 39 points on 11-of-14 shooting from the floor, including 4-of-5 from behind the arc, and 13-of-14 from the free throw line. Campbell also dished out five assists and collected four rebounds. Twenty-four of Campbell's points came in the second half, including 13 in the third quarter alone.
- Rockefeller added 25 in the win, hitting 5-of-9 from long range and 9-of-18 total from the floor, while adding five rebounds and six steals.
- Morrisville State finished shooting 46.7% from the floor, 52% from behind the arc and 85% from the free throw line, edging Cobleskill who finished 40.3% in shooting from the floor.
- Morrisville State returns to the court Saturday, traveling to the College of St. Elizabeth for another NEAC bout.
Morrisville State College's curricula are enriched with applied learning and pave the way for opportunity at both the Morrisville and Norwich campuses. An action-oriented, interactive learning lab, the college is a national leader in technology and has been lauded for its exemplary, innovative and effective community service programs.
The college was ranked among the Best Regional Colleges in the North by U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges 2018 issue and was also recognized in the Top Public Schools, Regional Colleges North in the 2018 Best Colleges rankings. For more information about Morrisville State College, visit www.morrisville.edu.