MORRISVILLE, N.Y. – The Morrisville State women's basketball team attempted a second half rally, but fell short Wednesday night as visiting SUNY Polytechnic outlasted the Mustangs on their home court for the 66-53 North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) matchup.
- Final score: Poly 66, Morrisville State 53 (halftime: Poly 28-21)
- Location: Morrisville, N.Y.
- Records: Poly 13-5, 8-1 NEAC; Morrisville State 5-12, 4-4 NEAC
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- Both teams came out of the gates slow, mustering a total 16 points in the opening quarter combined before heating up in the second.
- Poly attacked the paint in the second frame, taking advantage of their size over the hosts and second chance opportunities, but Morrisville State battled right back with their speed to catch the Wildcats on their heels and keep the game within reach at the break 28-21.
- After playing nearly even in the third, Poly used a 20-15 scoring advantage in the final frame to pull away from Morrisville State, collecting the NEAC win.
- Three posted double figures for the hosts, including junior Tori Rockefeller (South Kortright, N.Y.) who paced the Mustangs with 16 points, adding seven rebounds and four steals.
- Alexis Campbell (Buffalo, N.Y.) and Miranda Wright (Smyrna, N.Y.) each added 10, while Morrisville State got contributions from five additional players in the efforts.
- Poly controlled the glass, 48-34, in part due to the efforts of Taylor Aybar who collected a game high 18 for the Wildcats. Savannah Hobbie (South Kortright, N.Y.) collected a team high eight for the Mustangs.
- Morrisville State returns to the court Saturday, hosting Gallaudet University for a 1 p.m. NEAC tip-off.
Morrisville State College's curricula are enriched with applied learning and pave the way for opportunity at both the Morrisville and Norwich campuses. An action-oriented, interactive learning lab, the college is a national leader in technology and has been lauded for its exemplary, innovative and effective community service programs.
The college was ranked among the Best Regional Colleges in the North by U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges 2018 issue and was also recognized in the Top Public Schools, Regional Colleges North in the 2018 Best Colleges rankings. For more information about Morrisville State College, visit www.morrisville.edu.