MORRISVILLE, N.Y. – The Mustangs and the Nor'Easters were forced to settle for a 3-3 tie in their Colonial Hockey Conference (CHC) series finale as both squads capitalized on their power play opportunities.
- Final Score:
- UNE 3, Morrisville 3
- Location: Morrisville, N.Y.
- Morrisville (5-2-1, 3-2-1 CHC), UNE (5-1-1, 4-1-1 CHC)
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- After not scoring until the third period last night, Morrisville jumped out to an early 2-0 lead at the end of the first period. Chyne Kennedy (Southwold, Ont.) posted the first goal of the game at the 4:58 mark after she followed her own rebound with a shot from just over the blue line. Alexziz Giannamore (Pittsburgh, Pa.) tallied Morrisville's second first period goal as the Mustangs capitalized on a power play at the 15:45 mark.
- The Nor'Easters quickly put the pressure back on the Mustangs in the second period, scoring at the 1:29 mark with a power play goal of their own.
- UNE struck again on the power play at the 14:59 mark of the second period to knot the game at 2-2.
- Not to be outdone, Morrisville pulled ahead with their second power play goal of the game at the 17:11 mark in the second as Maria deWilde (Caistorville, Ont.) redirected the puck into the back of the net off of a scrum in front of the crease.
- Unfortunately, penalties got the best of the Mustangs in the third when they allowed Kyra Yu of UNE to even the score once again off of a third Nor'Easter power play goal.
- Both squads continued to put the pressure on defensively throughout the rest of the third period and into OT, but neither could find the game winner as they settled for the 3-3 tie.
The Mustangs will take a break from conference play, squaring off against 10 straight non-conference opponents before returning to their CHC slate in February. First up for Morrisville is a Tuesday afternoon tilt with neighboring Hamilton College. Puck drop is set for 1 PM.
Morrisville State College's curricula are enriched with applied learning and pave the way for opportunity at both the Morrisville and Norwich campuses. An action-oriented, interactive learning lab, the college is a national leader in technology and has been lauded for its exemplary, innovative and effective community service programs.
The college was ranked among the Best Regional Colleges in the North by U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges 2018 issue and was also recognized in the Top Public Schools, Regional Colleges North in the 2018 Best Colleges rankings. For more information about Morrisville State College, visit www.morrisville.edu.