MORRISVILLE, N.Y. – The Morrisville Women's Ice Hockey team hit the road this evening for the first game of their final non-conference series of the season. Despite giving up a first period goal to the host, Neumann Knights, the Mustangs rallied back for a 3-1 victory.
- Final Score:
- Morrisville 3, Neumann 1
- Location: Aston, Pa.
- Morrisville St. (10-6-1), Neumann (5-12-0)
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- The Knights were able to get on the board first with a late period strike at the 14:59 mark.
- However, the Mustangs responded quickly in the early part of the second period when Danielle Bunting (Thornville, Ohio) found the back of the net just 24 seconds into the middle frame. Kaitlyn Schlake (Nampa, Idaho) and Jessica Ujcik (Munich, Germany) picked up assists on the game-tying goal.
- Morrisville dominated play throughout the remainder of the second period, outshooting the Knights 20 to 9. Unfortunately, the Mustangs were unable to find the go-ahead tally.
- Megan Kirk (Breezy Point, N.Y.) broke the deadlock just over two and a half minutes into the third period with an unassisted goal to give the Mustangs the 2-1 advantage.
- Morrisville controlled the puck offensively again in the third, but were unable to give themselves a cushion until the last second of play as Alexziz Giannamore (Pittsburgh, Pa.) converted on the Knight's empty net in the host's last ditch effort to tie the game.
- Lacey Friesen (Marquette, Man.) recorded her first win between the pipes for the Mustangs, recording 23 saves.
Morrisville will wrap up their non-conference series at Neumann tomorrow afternoon at 2 PM. The Mustangs will return home next weekend as they host Colonial Hockey Conference foe, SUNY Canton.
Morrisville State College's curricula are enriched with applied learning and pave the way for opportunity at both the Morrisville and Norwich campuses. An action-oriented, interactive learning lab, the college is a national leader in technology and has been lauded for its exemplary, innovative and effective community service programs.
The college was ranked among the Best Regional Colleges in the North by U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges 2018 issue and was also recognized in the Top Public Schools, Regional Colleges North in the 2018 Best Colleges rankings. For more information about Morrisville State College, visit www.morrisville.edu.