UTICA, N.Y. – The Morrisville State women's lacrosse team opened the 2019 season Saturday afternoon with a non-conference loss to host Utica College in Utica, by a 14-3 final score.
- Final Score: Utica 14, Morrisville State 3
- Location: Utica, N.Y.
- Records: Utica 1-0, Morrisville State 0-1
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- Senior Courtney Cavellier (Rodman, N.Y.) scored the first tally of the contest, 51 seconds in, but it was all Utica for the remainder of the half as they rallied for seven straight scores to carry a 7-1 lead into the halftime break.
- In the second, Morrisville State got two scores from sophomore midfielder Melissa Lucciola (Monroe, N.Y.), but Utica again added seven to their totals to capture the win.
- Utica controlled the center circle start, collecting 12 draw controls to the Mustangs seven, and outgained the visitors in the ground ball game 27-18.
- Freshman Kadi Bice (Lorraine, N.Y.) made her first start in net for the Mustangs, and collected 12 saves, eight in the first half of action. Bice also picked up a game high six ground balls.
- Cavellier added five draw control wins, and three ground balls to her tallies, causing a turnover.
- Morrisville State will open their home slate Saturday, March 2 as they hit Drake Field for a 1 p.m. non-conference contest against SUNY Canton.
Morrisville State College's curricula are enriched with applied learning and pave the way for opportunity at both the Morrisville and Norwich campuses. An action-oriented, interactive learning lab, the college is a national leader in technology and has been lauded for its exemplary, innovative and effective community service programs.
The college was ranked among the Best Regional Colleges in the North by U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges 2018 issue and was also recognized in the Top Public Schools, Regional Colleges North in the 2018 Best Colleges rankings. For more information about Morrisville State College, visit www.morrisville.edu.