MORRISVILLE, N.Y. – The Morrisville State women's lacrosse team fired off the first four goals and added six more to their tallies in the opening half of action Wednesday afternoon as they handed Buffalo State College the 15-5 loss on Drake Field in Morrisville.
- Final Score: Morrisville State 15, Buffalo State 5
- Location: Drake Field, Morrisville, N.Y.
- Records: Morrisville 7-4, Buffalo State 5-6
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- Senior Courtney Cavellier (Rodman, N.Y.) notched a team high five goals and added nine draw control wins Wednesday afternoon to lead host Morrisville State to a 15-5 non-conference win over visiting Buffalo State on Drake Field.
- Seven different Mustangs collected scores as they shocked the Bengals with their dominating offensive performance, out gaining the visitors 32-13 in shots on the day.
- Melissa Lucciola (Monroe, N.Y.) added the hat trick with three goals, adding an assist, while fellow teammates Grace Hanehan (Saratoga Springs, N.Y.) and Jillian Hughes (Brookfield, N.Y.) collected two apiece.
- Junior defender Lydia Cooley (Honeoye Falls, N.Y.) paced the defensive unit that forced 21 Bengal turnovers, recording four alone herself, while picking up six ground balls.
- Fellow junior Lexi Firkins (Brockport, N.Y.) added four ground balls and three additional caused turnovers as the Mustangs held the Bengals to just five goals total on the day.
- Freshman keeper Kadi Bice (Lorraine, N.Y.) backstopped Morrisville State with three saves across 60 minutes of action.
- Morrisville State rattled off the first four scores of the afternoon, all coming off different sticks, before Buffalo State was able to put one on the board midway through the opening half.
- Cavellier and Lucciola posted the next three tallies as the Bengals put together two straight to make it a 7-3 game, but that's as close as the visitors would get as the hosts added three more, all within a span of 48 seconds, to increase their lead to seven at the half.
- Kendall Skuse collected the two lone scores for the visitors in the second, while Morrisville State added five more, shocking the Bengals and collecting the win.
- Morrisville State will return to the field of play Saturday as they host Wells College in a North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) match up, a game set to benefit the OneLove Foundation and bring awareness to relationship violence as well as healthy relationships. Opening draw is scheduled for noon on Drake Field in Morrisville.
Morrisville State College's curricula are enriched with applied learning and pave the way for opportunity at both the Morrisville and Norwich campuses. An action-oriented, interactive learning lab, the college is a national leader in technology and has been lauded for its exemplary, innovative and effective community service programs.
The college was ranked among the Best Regional Colleges in the North by U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges 2018 issue and was also recognized in the Top Public Schools, Regional Colleges North in the 2018 Best Colleges rankings. For more information about Morrisville State College, visit www.morrisville.edu.