UTICA, N.Y. – The Morrisville State defensive unit held Utica College scoreless for nearly 72' of play, but the Mustangs fell just short as the Pioneers capitalized in the first minute of overtime to take the 2-1 win on Wednesday evening. Sophomore midfielder, Casey Watson (Stamford, CT) converted on the Mustangs only corner kick of the night with a header, giving the visitors the 1-0 lead in the 48' of play.
- Final Score: Utica 2, Morrisville 1 (1 OT)
- Location: Charles A. Gaetano Stadium – Utica, NY
- Records: Morrisville (6-7-0), (5-2-0) NEAC, Utica (6-5-2), (2-1-1) Empire 8
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Utica College outshot Morrisville State 14-0 in the first half, but the Mustang defensive unit wouldn't break as both teams remained deadlocked at 0 heading into halftime.
- Watson gave Morrisville State the 1-0 lead at the 47:32 mark when freshman midfielder, Zoe Costello (Kingston, NY) took a corner kick, placing the ball in perfect position for Watson to head the ball past Utica's goalkeeper.
- The Pioneers scored a late goal at 71:35 to even the score at 1-1. Neither team was able to find the back of the net in the last 18' of regulation play, sending the game into overtime.
- Utica senior, Abby Reilly scored the game winner in the first 39 seconds of extra time, ripping a shot from the top of the penalty box, sending the ball just out of reach of Mustang goalkeeper, Jade Shimer (Canastota, NY) in the top right corner of the net.
- Shimer recorded 20 saves in goal for Morrisville State.
Women's Soccer returns to North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) play this weekend, when they travel to Penn College in Williamsport, PA for a 1:00pm kick off on Saturday afternoon.
Morrisville State College's curricula are enriched with applied learning and pave the way for opportunity at both the Morrisville and Norwich campuses. An action-oriented, interactive learning lab, the college is a national leader in technology and has been lauded for its exemplary, innovative and effective community service programs.
The college was ranked among the Best Regional Colleges in the North by U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges 2018 issue and was also recognized in the Top Public Schools, Regional Colleges North in the 2018 Best Colleges rankings. For more information about Morrisville State College, visit www.morrisville.edu.