CLINTON, N.Y. – Morrisville State men's basketball swept weekend action at the Hamilton College Tip-Off Tournament Sunday, as they topped Centenary College by a 66-56 final score in Clinton, after surviving a fierce comeback attempt by the Cyclones.
- FINAL SCORE: Morrisville State 66, Centenary (N.J.) 56
- Location: Hamilton College, Clinton, N.Y.
- Records: Morrisville State 3-1, Centenary 0-3
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- Junior forward Kevin Dennis (Bronx, N.Y.) collected his third straight double-double, leading the Mustangs with 18 points and 18 rebounds, as Morrisville State dominated the glass 49-30.
- Tyrin Miller (White Plains, N.Y.) registered 12 points in the win, 10 in the second half as he shot 2-for-4 from long range, and added a perfect 4-for-4 performance from the charity stripe.
- Junior transfer Justin Mitchell (Newburgh, N.Y.) added nine, and dished out two assists, while teammates Kyle Peck (Oneida, N.Y.) and Derek Beames (Otego, N.Y.) added eight points apiece.
- Peck dished out four assists and Beames pulled down six boards to add to their totals on the day.
- Morrisville Sate increased their 37-26 halftime lead to as many as 16 five minutes in before Centenary put together a 23-3 run to shift the tables and erase the double digit deficit to claim a four point lead with 4:26 remaining in the second half.
- Peck hit a jumper along the baseline to cut the Cyclone lead to two, and Beames converted one in the paint to tie the contest for a fourth time, but it was the Mustangs who proved too strong for Centenary down the final 1:34 of the contest as they attacked the paint and utilized their ability along the perimeter to capture the win.
- Miller hit a three and added four free throws in the final 27 seconds to regain the 10 point lead, and victory for the Mustangs.
- Morrisville State dominated the paint, out gaining Centenary 34-16, and capitalizing for 15 second chance points.
- Morrisville State will take a holiday break before returning to the court Tuesday, Nov. 27 against Middlebury at 5:30 p.m. in Morrisville.
Morrisville State College's curricula are enriched with applied learning and pave the way for opportunity at both the Morrisville and Norwich campuses. An action-oriented, interactive learning lab, the college is a national leader in technology and has been lauded for its exemplary, innovative and effective community service programs.
The college was ranked among the Best Regional Colleges in the North by U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges 2018 issue and was also recognized in the Top Public Schools, Regional Colleges North in the 2018 Best Colleges rankings. For more information about Morrisville State College, visit www.morrisville.edu.