MORRISVILLE, N.Y. – The Mustangs dropped a heartbreaker on Saturday night, falling to the visiting SUNY Canton Roos 5-4 in overtime despite a historic night from CJ Stubbs (Pleasant Grove, Utah) who notched his 100th career point in the loss.
- Final Score:
- SUNY Canton 5, Morrisville 4
- Location: Morrisville, N.Y.
- Morrisville (4-17-2), SUNY Canton (12-9-2)
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Canton landed the first blow in the back and forth affair at the 1:46 mark for the early 1-0 lead.
- Morrisville weathered two storms in the first period to hold the Roos to just the one tally, killing two penalties.
- The Mustangs found themselves shorthanded at the 4:40 mark in the second due to a five minute major penalty. However, Stubbs was able to break free at the 7:39 mark for the shorthanded goal.
- The tie would be short lived though as Canton responded just before their power play expired to take the 2-1 advantage.
- The Roos would strike again at the 14:40 mark, but Morrisville, sparked by Stubbs would rally once again as the senior forward put away his second goal of the game at the 15:27 mark.
- Down by one entering the third, the Mustangs were able to start the period on the power play due to a late high sticking penalty on Canton at the end of the second. Nick DeVito (Averill Park, N.Y.) picked up his 11th goal of the season for the equalizer, but the star of the play was Stubbs whose assist put him over the 100 point total for his career with the Mustangs.
- Just over three minutes later, Jesse Anderson (Wasaga Beach, Ont.) put the Mustangs up 4-3 with the home squad's second power play goal of the game. Stubbs and DeVito assisted on the play.
- Unfortunately, the lead would not hold for long as Canton knotted the score at 4-4 at the 5:03 mark.
- Both squads looked to find the game winner for the remainder of the third period, but neither team could break through and the contest headed into overtime.
- As the game headed into the final minute of overtime it looked as though the Mustangs and the Roos would have to settle for the draw. The tides turned in favor of Canton at the 4:31 mark as Sean David found the back of the net for the game winner to give the Roos the dramatic 5-4 win over Morrisville.
- With his four point performance on the evening, Stubbs becomes the first Mustang to record 100 points in the program's NCAA era in addition to becoming the program's all-time leader in points.
The Mustangs will wrap up their season at home next weekend with a pair of conference contests against Fredonia. Friday's puck drop is set for 7 PM, while Saturday's puck drop is set for 4 PM.
Morrisville State College's curricula are enriched with applied learning and pave the way for opportunity at both the Morrisville and Norwich campuses. An action-oriented, interactive learning lab, the college is a national leader in technology and has been lauded for its exemplary, innovative and effective community service programs.
The college was ranked among the Best Regional Colleges in the North by U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges 2018 issue and was also recognized in the Top Public Schools, Regional Colleges North in the 2018 Best Colleges rankings. For more information about Morrisville State College, visit www.morrisville.edu.