YONKERS, N.Y. – The Morrisville State men's lacrosse team rattled off a combined 16 scores between the second and third quarters Wednesday afternoon, toppling host Mount Saint Vincent College by a 23-5 final, to give Mustang head coach Jason Longo his 100th career coaching win on the sidelines of the Division III program.
Senior Nick Geswaldo (Lafayette, N.Y.) posted a collegiate high 13 points in the victory for the Mustangs first win of the 2019 season.
- Final Score: Morrisville 23, Mount Saint Vincent College 5
- Location: Tibbetts Brook Park, Yonkers, N.Y.
- Records: Morrisville State 1-5, Mount St. Vincent 1-6
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- Morrisville State senior attackman Nick Geswaldo (Lafayette, N.Y.) posted a new career high Wednesday as he notched 10 goals and added three assists for 13 points in the Mustangs dominating win over Mount Saint Vincent in Yonkers.
- The win is the first for the Mustangs on the season, and the 100th career win for head coach Jason Longo, who entered his 10th season one win shy of the milestone mark.
- The Dolphins led 1-0 early in the first after netting an extra man score, but Morrisville State turned the tables quickly and notched three straight, including the first two from junior Chris Dovi (Cortland, N.Y.) before Geswaldo posted his first of the day for a 3-1 visitor lead.
- After a Mount St. Vincent tally to send it into the second quarter with a one-goal Mustang advantage, the hosts added another to tie the game at three at the 13:46 mark, but that was the closest they would get as Morrisville State rifled nine into the back of the net over the remainder of the half.
- Geswaldo notched four of the Mustangs tallies and assisted on three others to send the visitors into the halftime break with a 12-4 lead.
- Morrisville State dominated the third quarter, adding seven additional goals to their lead, while holding the hosts scoreless, three that came from Geswaldo and another three from junior Joe Piedigrossi (Cortland, N.Y.).
- The Mustangs added four to their already convincing lead in the fourth, two more from Geswaldo, picking up the 23-5 win.
- Morrisville State held the significant 67-8 advantage in shots on the day, and dominated the center x as senior Shawn Walberger (Fulton, N.Y.) collected 21 wins on 25 attempts.
- Nate McCormick (Cortland, N.Y.) added to the Mustangs strength at the center start, winning 5-of-7 face-offs, picking up five ground balls, as Walberger added 17 to lead the Mustang unit.
- Morrisville State held the 48-11 edge in the ground ball game over the Dolphins.
- John Henry Alvarado (West Harrison, N.Y.) picked up the win in net, saving one in the third quarter.
- Morrisville State will host Scranton University in a non-conference bout on Monday, April 1 as a final tune-up before opening North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) play on Wednesday against SUNY Polytechnic. Face-off against Scranton is at 4 p.m. on Drake Field in Morrisville.
Morrisville State College's curricula are enriched with applied learning and pave the way for opportunity at both the Morrisville and Norwich campuses. An action-oriented, interactive learning lab, the college is a national leader in technology and has been lauded for its exemplary, innovative and effective community service programs.
The college was ranked among the Best Regional Colleges in the North by U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges 2018 issue and was also recognized in the Top Public Schools, Regional Colleges North in the 2018 Best Colleges rankings. For more information about Morrisville State College, visit www.morrisville.edu.