MORRISVILLE, N.Y. – The Morrisville State women's lacrosse team completed the sweep on the North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) opening weekend, defeating visiting Lancaster Bible College by a 24-4 final score on Drake Field in Morrisville behind Grace Hanehan's (Saratoga Springs, N.Y.) eight points across the afternoon.
- Final Score: Morrisville 24, Lancaster Bible 4
- Location: Drake Field, Morrisville, N.Y.
- Records: Morrisville 4-4, 2-0 NEAC; Lancaster 1-8, 0-2 NEAC
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- Lancaster Bible posted the first goal of the contest, but Morrisville State rattled off three straight to claim a 3-1 advantage seven minutes in.
- After a second score from the Chargers Hannah Thompson on the free position, the Mustangs added two more, and finished off the half with 10 straight scores, including a hat trick by sophomore Melissa Lucciola (Monroe, N.Y.) to send the game into the locker room with a 15-3 host lead.
- Morrisville State added nine to its lead in the second en route to the win, completing the weekend with a 2-0 NEAC sweep.
- The Mustangs collected a total 38 points on the day, with Grace Hanehan (Saratoga Springs, N.Y.) leading the way with seven goals and an assist for eight.
- Lucciola added a total five goals and two assists, while Courtney Cavellier (Rodman, N.Y.) collected four scores and an assist for five points.
- Chelsea McNeal (Ithaca, N.Y.) added a trio of goals for the hat trick, also dishing out three assists, as senior Celia Abbott (Shortsville, N.Y.) collected a team high five assists to go along with two scores. Abbott, for a second straight game, picked up a team high seven ground balls.
- Morrisville State outgunned the Chargers 53-11 in shots on the day, and edged the visitors 31-10 in ground balls.
- Lancaster Bible, though, held the slim advantage in the start at the center circle winning 16 draws to the Mustangs 14, with leader Hannah Thompson collecting nine. Thompson also added two goals for the Chargers, and picked up four ground balls.
- Kadi Bice (Lorraine, N.Y.) picked up the win for the Mustangs, saving three in 37 minutes of play, before being relieved by Laura Lorraine (Hamilton, N.Y.) for the remainder of the contest. Lorraine also turned away three.
- Lancaster's Nicolette Statuti recorded the loss despite a 17 save effort.
- Morrisville State returns to the field next Saturday, traveling to Hilbert College for a 2 p.m. NEAC contest in Eden.
Morrisville State College's curricula are enriched with applied learning and pave the way for opportunity at both the Morrisville and Norwich campuses. An action-oriented, interactive learning lab, the college is a national leader in technology and has been lauded for its exemplary, innovative and effective community service programs.
The college was ranked among the Best Regional Colleges in the North by U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges 2018 issue and was also recognized in the Top Public Schools, Regional Colleges North in the 2018 Best Colleges rankings. For more information about Morrisville State College, visit www.morrisville.edu.